Writing Techniques: Unlock Your Mind and Avoid the Worst Traps April 3rd, 2012
Do you want to make your essays flawless and your writing process smooth? Certainly, you do. Then, you should look through these examples of best and worst writing techniques, so that you can complete perfect papers and enjoy good grades for them.
Writing techniques definition
What are writing techniques? Writing techniques are the mechanisms you use to write your papers. Each step you take in the essay writing process can influence the results you achieve. Though there is no universal recipe for writing all types of essays, some mechanisms have proven to be more effective than others.
Writing techniques to unlock your mind
The first steps in essay writing can be rather intimidating. “Hello, my dear friend” says the writer’s block, and you do not know where to start, but look blankly at a white computer monitor. Stop torturing yourself and try these truly effective essay writing techniques:
- Brainstorming. First, you should forget about criticism and write down all ideas coming into your head (even the silliest of them). Then, you should evaluate and test them, selecting only the best ones. To get your creativity going, you need to remove all barriers. In brainstorming, you first generate as many ideas as you can, and only later evaluate their quality.
- Free writing. Though this writing technique is criticized by some instructors, a lot of students like and appreciate it. Free writing means you do not need to worry about grammar and punctuation (not until proofreading papers). Your main goal is to free your brilliant ideas. You may set on a timer and write for a certain period of time (10-15 minutes) any thoughts that come into your head.
- Directed questioning. If you cannot decide what to include in your paper, you may ask yourself directing questions. E.g. How can I define this concept? How can I investigate this problem? Why does this problem interest me? How does this problem affect other subjects?
- Outlining. By making an outline, you can accelerate your writing process. Start from writing a thesis statement, then find convincing arguments for body paragraphs, and formulate them in the form of topic sentences. Then, support these central ideas with additional evidence. You will complete your essay before you could say Jack Robinson.
Writing techniques to persuade your readers
Another important aspect essential to improving your writing style is to find good content for your papers. These are proven writing techniques that will make your papers better:
- AIDA formula. Attention + Interest + Desire + Action = a good essay. This formula is used by marketers in advertisements, but it can be helpful for any papers. Try toput yourself in your readers’ shoes and think from their perspective. Respect your audience and think of what might interest them.
- Rhetorical triangle. Though it was created by ancient Greeks, it can be helpful for you too. The main components to include are logos (logical explanations, examples, and evidence), pathos (appeals to readers’ feelings and emotions), and ethos (ethical concerns – show that you as a writer have enough knowledge and competence to discuss certain problems and therefore readers can believe you).
- Repetitions. Repetitions are highly valued by psychologists. Make certain to use repetitions wisely, so that you don’t bore your readers. Echo the idea indicated in your thesis statement throughout your paper in topic sentences and conclusion. You should use various forms for repetitions, such as narratives, examples, logical reasoning, quotations of outstanding thinkers.
- Addressing objections. When developing your arguments, try to address the arguments of your readers before they even think of them. Imagine your instructors reading your essays and saying: “What about…?”
Writing techniques to avoid
Now that you understand what strategies can help you improve your writing skills, you might also want to check these worst techniques for writing essays, to know what to avoid:
- Positive commentators. Some students think that if they write an essay in a positive key, their teachers will like it. This is wrong. Be objective and make certain to offer convincing arguments instead of simply stating that the book was “unforgettable”.
- Open-hearted fellows. This group of students thinks that they can impress their instructors by using colloquialisms and personal details. This is wrong. You should not use an informal style unless it is requested by your teacher.
- Garbage collectors. This group of students thinks that they can include all information that is in anyway related to the subject matter and get a good grade for this collection of interesting but irrelevant facts. Such students keep a lot of information in their short-term memory and absolutely nothing, even essay questions, will prevent them from including these facts into essays.
- TERMinators. The name of this category is derived from the word “term”. These students are fond of complicated terms and their definitions. This is wrong. You should not provide unnecessary definitions, unless they are valuable for your discussion.
- Magicians. These students can make tricks and illusions with essay questions. Their essays start well, but the essay question disappears by the time you read the conclusion part. “While” is their favorite word. E.g. In an essay on a marketing strategy: While a marketing strategy is important for the company’s success, change management is also important for making progress. Change management techniques are…
- Philosophers of contradiction. These students assume that all questions are controversial and use this assumption as their writing technique. They do not want to take a concrete stand and in their essays, they simply repeat the idea that the essay question is really controversial and can be viewed from different perspectives.
So, now that you see the difference between best and worst writing techniques, you will be able to make the right choices, unlock your mind, avoid the traps and make your essays just perfect.
Can You Avoid the Freshman Fifteen? March 5th, 2012
Gaining weight during your freshman year is simply unavoidable, right? The answer is of course not. Don’t believe people that tell you that you will gain fifteen pounds or more no matter what you do. The truth is that there are steps that you can take to keep from gaining all that weight, and these steps might be easier than you think. The first step, however, is to simply not listen to people who are treating your weight gain as a foregone conclusion. Remember whether or not you gain weight is up to you! Now, let’s look at a few of the ways that you can keep that dreaded “Freshman Fifteen” off your back.
Don’t Adopt Bad Health Habits
Just because you are in college doesn’t mean that you have to give up on working out and eating healthy meals. If you were doing this before you went to college, then keep it up. If you weren’t eating healthy food and getting at least a little exercise, then now is the time to start.
Don’t Trust Your College Cafeteria!
Here is a big point that you must treat seriously; don’t trust you college or university’s cafeteria. They may be offering up low calorie meals that are low in trans fat, sodium, chemicals and preservatives, but you certainly can’t count on it. Your on campus eating options might be your biggest obstacle in avoiding the Freshman Fifteen. This means that you will have to be proactive about your food choices and seek out those choices that you know are good for you.
Always Have Your Own Snacks, No Exceptions
One of the easiest ways to gain a great deal of weight in college is to fall victim to the snack machines. Snack machines rarely have healthy foods in them, and you should simply avoid them as much as possible. Carrying your own healthy snacks isn’t just better for you, but it is also far cheaper as well.
Find Simple and Clever Ways to Get More Exercise
If you find that you just don’t have the time to exercise as much as you would like, there are so simple ways. One way is to walk more and to walk at a brisker pace. Another way is to carry an extra book or two in your backpack or other bag in order to burn off some extra calories. This is a great trick, as no one will even realize that you are exercising!
Consider Giving Yourself a Reward-You Deserve It!
You know what you want! Well, consider giving yourself a reward at the end of your freshman year when you manage to keep the Freshman Fifteen off your back. Having a goal that you are working towards can make all the difference in the world.
Don’t assume that you will gain weight. With some planning, effort and confidence, you can walk away from your freshman year without any extra weight. In fact, you might even be able to lose a few pounds.
- How to Eat Healthy While at College
- 5 Tips to Survive (and Thrive) Freshman Year
- How To: Choose the Right College Meal Plan
Three Things You Avoid Leading Up to the SAT December 14th, 2011
The SAT is a big deal. It will play a major role in determining what colleges and universities ultimately accept your application. There are many things that you can “blow off” in life (and sometimes doing so not a bad idea in order to maintain your sanity), but blowing off the SAT is a really bad idea from beginning to end. In this article we will look at some of the things you shouldn’t do before you take the SAT.
You may be able to do any of the things on our list and have everything turn out just find, but doing so means that you are depending upon good old-fashioned luck. And depending on luck for success is rarely your best bet. A good score on the SAT, like so much in life, depends greatly upon preparation. Adopting the right strategies and tools for the job, such as test prep tutoring and college admissions counseling, can make a big difference.
Number One-Don’t Stay Up Late
Staying up late the night before the SAT is to be blunt a little crazy. This test is long, demanding and it requires you to think clearly. Don’t study or do anything other than relax the night before the SAT. Showing up to take the SAT well rested could be one of the smartest moves you make in the entire SAT exam process.
Number Two-Don’t be a Social Butterfly
If a good SAT score is truly important to you, then you might have to trim down your social calendar. It is a brutal truth, but many of your current friends you won’t see or think about in two years… let alone five years or ten years. Whatever good times they have for you really can wait until you have studied for the SAT. You won’t regret the time you spend on test prep tutoring and SAT practice test online exams. Hanging out with some people you won’t see ever again after high-school instead of studying for the SAT is a different story…
Number Three-Don’t Indulge in Too Much of a Good Thing
Leading up to the SAT, it is important to you avoid eating foods that could make you ill. Also don’t try anything like working out too vigorously. Anything that could leave you feeling weak or simply not at your best will impact your score and not in a good way!
We’ve covered three big “don’ts,” and there are definitely more that will fit your own life and your own situation. The real point here is to focus on your goal and that means sacrificing some of the things that you might want to do in the short run so that you will have success on the SAT. Missing out on a good time is never easy, but neither is looking at a disappointing test score! When it comes to a test like the SAT that has such a profound impact on future educational options, it is best to play it safe.
- 4 Ways to Fight the SAT Prep Blues
- Avoid These 5 Costly College Interview Mistakes
- An Overview of the Importance of SAT Preparation
Avoid These 5 Costly College Interview Mistakes November 1st, 2011
There are many parts to getting into your top college or university. Since there are many opportunities for something to go wrong, you may be feeling a great deal of pressure. However, this doesn’t mean that you need to panic. Smart advance preparation can do a great deal to increase your odds of getting into the college or university of your choice. Acing your college interview is a major part of getting accepted to one of your top picks. In this article, we will focus on some of the major mistakes you might make on your college interview.
Mistake #1-A Bad Night’s Sleep
No matter how well prepared you may be for your college interview, a bad night of sleep can kill your chances of getting into one of your top college picks. So this means you shouldn’t cram the night before your college interview. You also shouldn’t go out with your friends and stay out late. On the contrary, be sure to stay home, relax, and go to sleep at a reasonable hour. Of course, don’t forget to set your alarm either! It is very important to show up on time.
Mistake #2- Stressing Out Due to Parental Pressure
Some parents undo the chances of their children achieving success by putting them under too much pressure. Remember that even if you do in fact “blow” your college interview, the world does in fact keep spinning. Just do your best and try to ignore any pressure that your parents or anyone else has thrown your way. Otherwise, you may be so nervous during the interview that you stumble through the questions or forget what you wanted to say.
Mistake #3-Not Knowing Anything About the College or University
Imagine going into a job interview and not knowing the first thing about the company where you want a job. Does that make sense? The same thing applies when it is time for your college interview. This doesn’t mean you need to know who the college president was in 1948, but you should have some answer prepared for the question, “Why did you want to be a student at XYZ University?”
Mistake #4-Forgetting Key Documents
If you are planning on bringing everything with you, make sure you have all your documents and materials ready to go. This will safeguard against rushing at the last second and showing up looking unprepared.
Mistake #5- Being Rude
It is a good idea to be polite during any interview, and college interviews are no different. Be certain to introduce yourself, and if your parents are in the waiting room, be sure to introduce them as well. Also shake hands and look the interviewer in the eye.
If you can manage to avoid making these five major mistakes your odds of success will go up! Preparing ahead of time, staying calm and making sure that you are ready for your interview are things that will all go a long way. Finally, don’t panic if your interviewer asks you a question that you can’t answer. Just try to be open and honest. The odds are that he or she doesn’t expect you to have all the answers. However, the way you respond when you don’t have an immediate answer ready will tell your interviewer a great deal about you.
- 5 Tips to Help You Prepare for Your College Interview
- 5 Tips to Help You Prepare for Your College Interview
- To be or Not to Be: The College Interview
Work on Tax Debt Relief to Avoid Wage Garnishment March 1st, 2011
Work on Tax Debt Relief to Avoid Wage Garnishment
Work on Tax Debt Relief to Avoid Wage Garnishment
Whenever you must pay back funds towards the Internal Revenue Service, the bureau can choose wage garnishment simply to obtain collections. The idea of wage garnishment is equivalent to those of IRS Levy. Should you not really want the IRS to make use of wage garnishment, you need to work out for getting a tax debt relief fitting solution.
Your boss will receive a notice from the bureau with all the guidelines associated with retaining a prodigious amount of your wages. The retained sum is going to be compensated by the employer to the IRS right away. You need to know that your employer are unable to decline this particular agreement, in any other case the individual or company will certainly end up being held accountable.
If you are earning income in small monetary amounts, and you are struggling with monetary complications, wage garnishments are only able to help to make your way of life dismal. In order to put an end to wage garnishment, you have to pick the help support of a highly skilled IRS tax attorney or tax professional. The actual month to month salaries are extremely essential, particularly for breadwinners.
By means of working together with an expert, you are able to stop this from occurring. The IRS tax attorney or tax consultant will work out with the bureau. In most instances, the actual expert can assist you in getting ready an acceptable repayment schedule that you could handle each month. This schedule is going to be offered to the IRS for endorsement.
In the event your repayment schedule will not be accepted, there are more possibilities open. If the IRS asserts on wage garnishment, the expert can certainly help in decreasing the total amount that is additionally affordable for the debtor. You can too have the specialist guide you through filing for Currently Not Collectible.
If you would like this program, you must be capable to demonstrate that your particular earnings are not really adequate in achieving your loved one’s necessities as well as in spending money on your fees. With sufficient facts or evidence, the IRS might concur but nonetheless, you have got to pay back the money you owe in the following 10 years. Assistance of pros can differ, which means you need to research prices for the best tax consultant.
Constantly seek advice from somebody that costs minimum service charges, and you’ve got to make sure that the actual tax professional carries an excellent history. Resolve your issues with tax debt relief which will help prevent wage garnishment. If you do not like the IRS agents pursue you, make a deal right away.
Find More Taxes Articles
HOW TO GET IRS TAX RELIEF AND AVOID IRS NOTICES January 5th, 2011
HOW TO GET IRS TAX RELIEF AND AVOID IRS NOTICES
HOW TO GET IRS TAX RELIEF AND AVOID IRS NOTICES
Tax relief seems a very difficult thing to find for those people who does not know where and how to find it. Due to the stress and frustration felt by taxpayers facing IRS tax debts, they tend to ignore the possibility that they still have a chance to get things settled in the right way instead of neglecting the notices and try to escape. Good news is, tax relief help is not that hard to find nowadays. There are dedicated tax professionals who know their way around taxes to take care of what you can’t handle. You can choose from any of these tax pros to handle your tax problem depending on the ability of these experts to negotiate on your behalf. You may either choose from a CPA, enrolled IRS agent, tax lawyer or a tax attorney.
Once an IRS notice demanding for payment is sent, you should take necessary steps to resolve the problem before it levels up into a more difficult scenario. If you are not sure of what to do, you must consult a tax attorney or a tax lawyer if the case involves legalities and compliance to the Internal Revenue Code (IRC). If an IRS notice is ignored once, it will create a lot of implications that will result on penalties and high interest rates which will more likely surpass your tax debt, making it more difficult for you to pay them off. A tax attorney or a tax lawyer can help you negotiate an Installment Agreement plan if you are not able to pay the amount of taxes due in full or settle for pennies on a dollar through the Offer in Compromise (OIC) if you will be qualified for the said program.
Tax issues like IRS lien, IRS levy, wage garnishment, IRS penalties, etc are IRS’ most powerful strategies that can cripple your finances and they will extract every hard earned penny that you are making. IRS is one strong agency that will tear you off in a battle if you don’t know how to defend yourself. Winning against IRS is not far ahead and can be obtained through a qualified representation.
A lot of IRS tax relief companies are swamping the industry today and not all of them can provide and fight for your freedom from tax problems. Some of them are monsters that are just waiting for the opportunity to take advantage on the weak prey. You should fall into the right hands and hire only the trusted. Instant Tax Solutions is one of the reputable IRS tax relief firms in the industry today who will not only provide you with honest services they can but secure your future finances from frustrations brought by tax problems and avoid IRS notices. ITS together with its team of CPAs, IRS enrolled agents, tax attorney and tax lawyers, tax relief is just a phone call away. Call the number on their website, www.instanttaxsolutions.com and make the most important call today.